We are excited you are joining our community of passionate interprofessional health professionals, community organizations, faculty, scholars, and older adults to improving health outcomes and quality of life of older adults. The ENGAGE-IL Team is thrilled to share our dedication and knowledge with you on enhancing geriatric care. Our Interprofessional Team is comprised of research faculty who are also clinicians, researchers and practitioners in dentistry, geriatrics, medicine, nursing, occupational therapy, public health, physical therapy, and social work. We are committed to disseminating important geriatric values and skills necessary to provide patient and family centered care to address the holistic needs of the older adult. Our evidence-based training and education materials are designed to meet the psychosocial needs of the older adult; enhance disease self-management and communication among patients and clinicians; promote an active lifestyle; increase older adult proficiency with medication management; and improve older adult population health.
Our four primary programs are:
- Online Accredited Learning in Interprofessional Geriatrics (ENGAGE-IL-OALIG)
- Community-campus Collaboration in Interprofessional Geriatrics (ENGAGE-IL-CCCIG)
- Digital Tools to Empower Clinicians and Communities in Interprofessional Geriatrics (ENGAGE-IL-DTECCIG)
- Scholars and Leaders in Interprofessional Geriatrics (ENGAGE-IL-SLIG)
The purpose of ENGAGE-IL is to leverage our strengths in geriatric care, health professions education, and community outreach to integrate geriatrics training into primary care and maximize patient and family engagement.
Dissemination is key to making an impactful difference in the lives of older adults.
Our website is for everybody: older adults, health care providers, caregivers, families, faculty, students, or anyone curious about older adult health concerns, well-being, or dementia.
Train professionals in a wide range of public service disciplines, serving nationally as the principal geriatric educator of health science professionals.
The goal of the geriatric educational training program is for participants to acquire and retain knowledge that will affect clinical practice and health outcomes of older adults.
There are two main objectives for ENGAGE-IL.
Objective 1: Develop and implement an online accredited Interprofessional (IP) Geriatrics Training Program for healthcare professionals in a variety of disciplines, preparing clinicians to work in IP teams and provide high-quality, patient-centered care to older adults.This training program will address the needs of older adults by:
- Promoting patient/family engagement
- Meeting psychosocial needs of the older adult
- Empowering older adults to better self-manage their chronic illnesses
- Enhancing the overall health of older adults
Objective 2: Foster campus-community collaborative partnerships to meet the needs of older adults. Strengthen links with our community partners, including:
- ACCESS Community Health Network
- Rainbow Hospice and Palliative Care
- Schwab Rehabilitation Hospital/Sinai Health Systems
Objective 3: Develop and implement an interprofessional geriatric Home Visits program serving the UIC health system and other patients in our catchment areas and at UIC clinical practice sites.
Objective 4: Provide dementia education, including Alzheimer’s education, to patients, families, caregivers, direct care workers, the general public, via a free downloadable App, Dementia Guide Expert
Free Dementia Guide Expert for families app
- Dementia Guide Expert for families offers evidence-based practical and helpful advice and support during each phase of the journey through the dementia experience
- Our approach is “dementia positive” and our goal is to improve the quality of life and well-being of persons with dementia, families and caregivers.
- Available for free on iOS Apple and Android